Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The 4 for 1

Sorry if this reads like a novel, I am just combing the past 4 things I would have normally blogged into one giant blog, so wrap yourself in a blanket and warm up your hot cocoa because here we go...

Thanksgiving

We had a really great Thanksgiving at Seth's parents house. I went over around 10:00 in the morning to help with all the food prep. Seth and the boys of the family did their annual Pheasant Hunt. I made the stuffing and mashed potatoes, plus jello and a double layer cheese cake pumpkin pie. I was pretty pleased with the results. All the food was fantastic, but sadly, after half of a plate, due to lack of room in my stomach from some growing babies, I was ridiculously full and could no longer enjoy the mashed potatoes that I was saving for last! Scarlett and her cousin Jeannie enjoyed the de-boned turkey leg and then fed the remains to our dog Maple. We hung out their till about 8 pm and then went to my parents house and slept off our turkey induced comma.

Stomach Flu

The following day, Seth went hunting again, while the kids and I enjoyed some joyous sleep. When Seth got home we went to the delicious Dos Coyotes for lunch and then did a little Christmas shopping before Seth had to go to work at 5:00. The kids and I dropped him off and then had 4 hours to kill, so what else could we do but shop some more. We went to target and got a couple things, then we went to Old Navy. I still had about an hour to kill, so we went to Starbucks and I got the kids hot chocolates and myself a gingerbread steamer. I thought the kids looked too cute drinking their Starbucks so of course being a blogger and a mom, I took a picture. So, back to the original story. We picked up Seth and drove back to my parents house, nobody was there, so we were borrowing it for a few days. Put the kids to bed and Seth and I were watching a movie. I got up and went to the bathroom and smelled that horrible smell that everyone dreads. VOMIT. Abram threw up everywhere, but was still asleep. So he was the first victim. Seth quickly caught the bug and started throwing up too. So I was up the entire night with Abram who threw up every 10 minutes until about 7:00 am and then, thank goodness stopped. Seth threw up a about 2 hours longer and then calm. I went to Raley's and got Scarlett and I some real breakfast and the sickies some ginger ale, Gatorade, and Popsicles. Abram took a nap, so I thought I would too. I woke up around 2:00, with some rumblings and knew I had caught it too. Minutes after I threw up, Scarlett started as well. So between her and I, I got another night of throwing up and no sleep. She stopped around 3:00 in the AM. Seth had to go to work at 9:30, so the kids and I drove home around 10:00 to finish our recovery at home.
Emergency Room

We decided to take a nap around 11:30 because we were all exhausted. Abram and I woke up around 1:00 and I tried to do some laundry and start cleaning up our messy house. Scarlett woke up around 2:00 and layed on the couch. I was trying to clean out the car and heard these screams of agony. I came in the house and Scarlett was crying in pain on the couch saying her stomach hurt so bad. I took her temp and it was 100.2, nothing much. She continued to cry in pain for about an hour and then I called my uncle the doctor. He had me poke around her belly and we discovered the pain was only on the right side and was very tender to the touch. So her said I should take her to the emergency room because occasionally the stomach flu can trigger appendicitis. So I scrambled to get our bag packed for the night and make sure I had all of Seth's work clothes and we rushed out the door around 4:30. We made it to the hospital and we only had to wait an hour and a half before being admitted. Which I was very grateful for because the ER was and always is full of crazies. They took her temp, pulseox, and blood pressure. The doctor came to see us and ordered some blood and urine samples. So they put in an IV and took blood and my mom and I took her to the bathroom and had her pee in the cup. The test results came back and hour later and everything looked ok, so the doctor thought it could still be pain from the stomach flu. So they released us at 8:45, to watch her at home because of course she was no longer screaming in agony making me look like I had overreacted. We went to my parents house and the gas started. Well, it looks like it was not appendicitis, just some majorly trapped gas from the stomach flu that was finally being released. My dad and Seth teased me for being my mom and being a worry wart. I told them I would rather look stupid then have her appendix burst because I wasn't concerned enough. She woke up a few times during the night and was in pain, but it didn't last long. I took her to the doctor the following morning, and she confirmed what I thought. Just trapped gas. She said appendicitis can hide sometimes, so still monitor her for the next 48 hours, but she thought that she would be fine and just get her some Children's Mylecone chewables. End of that saga.

The Ultrasound
I had my big anatomy ultrasound yesterday after all the craziness. I am pleased to announce that according to my doctor, the babies look perfect! They checked to make sure everything was working and it was. They didn't have any soft markers for downs syndrome and their spines looked lesion free, so most likely no spina bifida. The perinatalogists asked why I didn't have any AFP tests or Trisomers done, and I explained to him that no matter what I would have kept the babies, so why worry myself with all the false positives that the tests can produce. Then he asked how old I was and I told him 25, and he said I probably didn't need to worry anyways because I am low risk. The babies weigh 11 and 10 oz and are right on schedule for their growth. Baby A is breech with his feet on my bladder and his head behind my belly button and Baby B is head down with his head on my bladder and his feet by my belly button. They look so big now. It was amazing to see their little hearts pumping and all the ventricles in their brains. The tech showed my their mouths and said they look like they are going to have big lips, just like their daddy. I am getting so excited. Still overwhelmed with the prospects of buying a new car, and being crammed in our tiny house, but others have made it work and we will too. I can't wait to have those two little babies in my arms at the same time. After a really crazy few days it was good to see those little guys and have the reassurance that they are growing properly. Now I just have the remaining half of my pregnancy! Let's pray for no bed rest!

Thanks for tuning in to read my novel. I hope everyone else had a really good thanksgiving and that you all stay away from the stomach flu. It only brings misery and sorrow!



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

it souds like you have a really crazy week. I am always thinking of you and would always love to help you! You are doing such a great job!

Huhtala Family said...

Bad Luck! Man, it's just one thing after another! I think your just being prepared for the madness of having 4 kids. Nothings going to faze you much once they are born :)

Kel said...

loved reading the "saga"...your kids look adorable drinking their cocoas! Nice to have that darn stomach bug behind you & to hear about those sweet, baby boys that'll be here before you know it!