Seth was watching California's Gold on PBS the other night. He loves that show and always wants to go where they go, and this time they were at the Otow Orchard. They are located in Granite Bay, so we decided we would go there after breakfast on Saturday. We arrived there and PBS was there again filming for California
Heartland. We walked through their orchards to the pumpkin patch and let Abram pick a pumpkin since Scarlett got to go on her first field trip to the pumpkin patch on Friday. The persimmons on the trees were beautiful. It was really chilly out with the cold wind blowing, but it felt like fall. It w
as perfect, I just needed some hot apple cider.
Otow Orchard makes Hoshigaki persimmons, which is an ancient Japanese technique for drying persimmons. It is a very tedious job. The hand peel the persimmons first and string them on a string and hang them on these wooden racks on the side of their ba
rn. They have to massage them constantly to get the wrinkles in the right spot. When they are done, they look like they are coated in sugar, but it is just natural sugar that has seaped out. They are so sweet and kind of taste like a sweet potato with butter and brown sugar on it.
We also got
some soft persimmons to make baby food with, a new favorite hobby of mine, and some persimmon cookies. We got vodka persimmons too, which are treated in vodka to bring out the natural sweetness and make the texture softer. They also sell jujubes, which I just thought were a candy, but they are like small, really dry apples, they have plums, pumpkins, gourds, pears. If you go on their website you can see what fruits they have at different times of year, they are open year round. We had a great time and it was beautiful. We really enjoyed ourselves and encourage others to go too.
Heartland. We walked through their orchards to the pumpkin patch and let Abram pick a pumpkin since Scarlett got to go on her first field trip to the pumpkin patch on Friday. The persimmons on the trees were beautiful. It was really chilly out with the cold wind blowing, but it felt like fall. It w
as perfect, I just needed some hot apple cider.Otow Orchard makes Hoshigaki persimmons, which is an ancient Japanese technique for drying persimmons. It is a very tedious job. The hand peel the persimmons first and string them on a string and hang them on these wooden racks on the side of their ba
rn. They have to massage them constantly to get the wrinkles in the right spot. When they are done, they look like they are coated in sugar, but it is just natural sugar that has seaped out. They are so sweet and kind of taste like a sweet potato with butter and brown sugar on it.We also got
some soft persimmons to make baby food with, a new favorite hobby of mine, and some persimmon cookies. We got vodka persimmons too, which are treated in vodka to bring out the natural sweetness and make the texture softer. They also sell jujubes, which I just thought were a candy, but they are like small, really dry apples, they have plums, pumpkins, gourds, pears. If you go on their website you can see what fruits they have at different times of year, they are open year round. We had a great time and it was beautiful. We really enjoyed ourselves and encourage others to go too.
2 comments:
So fun! Hey, make sure you check my blog this week, because I am posting a giveaway you might be interested in...also if you don't win, I will hook you up with something, and share some secrets....
I never knew about those awesome orchards in Granite Bay...too bad we are way too far away now!
Hey Celeste!! You are so much fun! You guys are always doing cool stuff!! Bad news...Marc couldn't get off work to come with me so I will be in Reno for a few hours but then I will just be going straight home. I was so bummed and almost decided to come without the fam but I would miss them too much and I want Casen to meet you too!! We will have to plan a cool vacation sometime!! Love you!!
Post a Comment